Search

Lagos First Responders contain Fire Outbreak At Ajao Estate Market



The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Response Team, Lagos Fire Service and Federal Fire Service have contained an Ajao Estate market fire outbreak that occurred in the early hours of Wednesday. Commenting on the incident, the Director-General/Chief Executive Officer, LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu explained that the Agency received a distress call at 1:59 am via the emergency helpline 767/112 regarding a fire outbreak at Ajao Estate Market, opposite CPM Church, and immediately deployed a team to the location. "Upon arrival at the scene, it was discovered that the aforementioned Market located inward Oshodi by Welcome Bus Stop was completely engulfed in flames. The Lagos State Fire Service, LASEMA fire team and the Federal Fire Service worked hard to battle the inferno and prevent it from spreading to nearby residential buildings”, he added. Oke-Osanyintolu stated that the fire, which razed four shops completely, reportedly started in one of the lock-up-shops, in a small shopping mall located just before the Ajao Estate Main Market, adding that the outbreak, however, recorded no deaths and injuries but destroyed property and goods worth several millions of naira. The Director-General noted that some shop owners attributed the fire outbreak to an electrical power surge and spark which eventually razed parts of the market in the early hours of Wednesday, before it was brought under control through the combined efforts of the LASEMA Fire Unit, Lagos Fire Service and Federal Government Fire Service. “In an effort to salvage the situation and quickly curtail the fire outbreak at Ajao Estate market, the Federal Fire Service deployed one fire truck, the Lagos State Fire Service also deployed one fire truck, while LASEMA fire Unit deployed two fire trucks, all in an effort to curtail and dampen the flames in order to ensure that it does not spread and cause further damage”, he asserted. While advising Lagosians to engage in safe practices such as switching off all electrical points before the close of business at the end of each day and ensure proper fuel storage, Oke-Osanyintolu declared that, although the fire was eventually put under control, the area had to be cordoned off for safety reasons. Source-lagosstate.gov.ng Image - LASEMA

Featured Posts
Follow Me

© 2020 JermaineSanwo-Olu. All Rights Reserved

Lagos State .png
NIPR.png