US President Cuts Ties With WHO
US President Donald Trump said he is cutting ties with the World Health Organization(WHO) over its approach of the coronavirus pandemic, as the death toll from the disease spiked again in the United States.
Trump had suspended funding to the WHO last month, accusing it of not doing enough to curb the early spread of the virus and being too lenient with China, where the virus emerged late last year.
On Friday he made that decision permanent in a major blow for the agency's finances, as the US is by far its biggest contributor, pumping in $400 million last year.
The president told reporters the US would be redirecting WHO funds "to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs."
The move sparked a fierce backlash on Saturday, with German Health Minister Jens Spahn saying the "disappointing" decision was a setback for global health.
The virus, which has ravaged the global economy and killed more than 364,000 people, is advancing at different speeds across the globe, with Europe continuing to open up from lockdown on Saturday after seeing its number of infections steadily fall.